Monday, August 6, 2012

Dulce de Leche Duos

One nice thing about this goal I have to make something new everyday is using my cookbooks. I have lots of cookbooks, and I would think how nice it would be to try something new, and then never use the cookbooks. Now that has changed. I've had Baking From My Home To Yours with Dorie Greenspan for years, and I'm just now making a dent. I think I had only tried two or three things from this great cookbook, but now I've already tried a few new recipes, and there are going to be many more on their way.
Today's recipe is called Dulce de Leche Duos, and these are fabulous. They have a consistency almost like Little Debbie's oatmeal pies, but unlike those, these cookies are a little crisper, and not so cloyingly sweet.  Here's the recipe:
Dulce De Leche Duos from Dorie Greenspan
2 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 c store-bought dulce de leche, plus more for filling
3/4 packed light brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs

Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350.  Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Working with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until soft.  Add the 3/4 c dulce de leche and both sugars and continue to beat until light an dfluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.  Don't be concerned if the mixture looks a little curdled--it will smooth out when the flour mixture goes in.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disapper into the batter.
Spoon the dough onto the baking sheets, using a heaping teaspoon of dough for each cookie and leaving 2 inches between them.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes (I did 10), rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point.  The cookies should be honey brown with a light sugar crust, but they will still be soft, so remove the sheets from the oven but don't touch the cookies for another minute or two.  Then, using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a rack to cool to room temperature.
Repeat with the remaining dough, making sure you cool the baking sheets before spooning the dough onto them.
When the cookies are completely cool, spread the flat bottoms of half the cookies with a small amount of dulce de leche, and sandwich with the flat sides of the remaining cookies.

  I love these. I've eaten far too many of them already. The calories for these, if you get the full 60 cookies or 30 sandwiches, are 162/cookie. We only got 57 cookies, so our calories were 175/cookie. Noah and I gave these a perfect 10, and I'll see after school what Owen gave them. Also, I didn't use very much of the dulce de leche to sandwich, just enough to stick the sides together really.

Tomorrow we're having that chicken dish I said we were having today.

Owen gave them a perfect 10 as well, and Aaron gave them a 6, no surprise there.  No chocolate chips means lower score :).

No comments:

Post a Comment