Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spinach Chicken Stromboli

We had Spinach Chicken Stromboli tonight, using a recipe I got out of the Our Best Bites cookbook.  I made some quick marinara sauce to go along with the stromboli, and it was a big hit in our house.  Owen gave it a 10, Noah and I gave it a 9, and Aaron gave it an 8.  There were 10 servings, and the calories were 298/serving.  Here's the recipe:

Spinach Chicken Stromboli (from Our Best Bites cookbook)
1 recipe pizza dough (just use your favorite, Here's where you can find the recipe I used)
2 c shredded chicken (I cooked mine in the crockpot with italian seasoning, then when cooked through I shredded it)
2 t olive oil
Italian seasonings to taste (I used garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper)
1 oz parmesan cheese
1 1/2 c mozzarella cheese
2 roma tomatoes
2 c chopped spinach (I used some bitter greens from our garden)

Roll out pizza dough.  Brush with 1 1/2 t olive oil, then sprinkle with some Italian seasonings and half the Parmesan cheese.  Then put in the chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes and spinach.  Mix it all together and roll the dough like a cinnamon roll over the toppings.  Place on a greased cookie sheet, put remaining 1/2 t olive oil on the pizza and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.  Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Let cool at least 10 minutes.  Serve with your favorite pizza sauce.


This was not much work, and super delicious.  We really liked it, and we'll have it again with different toppings.

Tomorrow we're having some baked orange cranberry donuts.

1 comment: