Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chicken with Herbs, Bacon and Peas, PW's Caesar Salad, and Butterscotch Tarts


We had a Father's Day lunch today for my dad, and it was fun to try new things. We tried the Pioneer Woman's spicy caesaar salad, I made croutons from left over hamburger buns and butter rather than the ones called for in the recipe, and we used our garden lettuce. We all really enjoyed the salad, it was flavorful and delicious, and also full of calories. For 6 servings, the salad was 429/serving. Wow! We gave the salad between an 8 and a 9.  Anyway, we had a crockpot chicken meal as well, one I tried from this cookbook.  We had chicken with pancetta, herbs and peas.  I always forget in the flurry of activity surrounding serving dinner time to reseason my crockpot food.  This chicken was moist and tender, real fall off the bone kind of food, but because I didn't reseason it, it was bland.  Sigh...  We've tried this meal before and it was very tasty, just this time not as much.  The chicken was a 7 because of how bland it was, and the calories varied based on the cut of meat, but my peas and chicken thigh were 220/serving.  Now on to dessert!

I tried this recipe for Father's Day for my dad, but I didn't want to use a traditional pie crust, so I made a graham cracker crust, added in the filling, and then topped with my own whipped cream.  So the filling recipe is the only part of the recipe I used.  I also only managed to get 4 little pies out of the filling, not 12.  The pies were 307/pie, and they were really good.  I give them an 8.  Since I had made enough crust for 12 pies, I needed to fill them up with something, so I made a quick no-bake cheesecake to serve.  8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 a bowl of cool whip, and 1/2 c sugar all mixed together until smooth.  They were 266/serving.  Easy and yummy!  Another 8.  Tomorrow we're having some breakfast food from Our Best Bites cookbook to make Daddy breakfast in bed for Father's Day.  We're also having the pork tacos we had a few weeks ago since Aaron enjoyed them so much.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the salad and dressing. Your father does not like anything I make that is spicy, so his reaction is understandable. Thanks for your preparation and work on our behalf, but especially thanks for letting us take care of the boys. That was a great Father's Day gift in and of itself. Did you ask them about their swimming in the tub? Love mom

    ReplyDelete