Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Red Beans and Rice and Our Best Bites Rolls

I kind of made my own recipe tonight using a red beans and rice recipe from Emeril Lagasse off of foodnetwork.com and basically changing everything. I took some sausage, a ham bone, 4 cups of chicken broth, celery, green pepper, onions, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, and 3 15 oz cans of beans with their juice, and cooked it all in the crockpot on low for 7 hours. An hour before serving, I put in two cups of rice and turned the crock pot to high and then put in some cayenne pepper and served it. I love the crockpot, especially when I don't have to do any work, and only get one pot dirty. The food was yummy, we gave it an 8, and the calories came to 276 for 1/12 of the total.
I also made the dinner rolls from the cookbook Our Best Bites. We gave them between a 9 and a 10, and I love how well they turned out with not very much effort on my part, thanks to my Kitchenaid :). They were delicious, and were 220 calories/roll.  I had to sample one before we ate :)
Tomorrow we're having raisin bran muffins.

1 comment: