Friday, June 22, 2012

Shrimp Scampi and Squash

Have I adequately expressed my love of all things Cook's Illustrated?  If I haven't, I should say now that I think they come out with the best, most fool-proof recipes ever.  Our dinner tonight was their Shrimp Scampi, and it is such a pleasing, easy, delicious recipe.  Noah said it's his favorite kind of shrimp, and I have to agree with him, it is up there for me.  We give it a 10, and since there are only 169 calories for 4 oz of shrimp, this is low calorie and so great.

Shrimp Scampi (adapted from Cook's Illustrated)
1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined (can leave tails on, we don't)
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
pinch sugar
2 T butter, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
pinch cayenne pepper
1 T parsley, chopped

Mix together shrimp, salt and pepper and sugar.  Heat oil in a large sautee pan.  Cook shrimp in an even layer, about 2 minutes.  Don't stir.  Remove shrimp from the pan when shrimp have just barely turned pink.  In same pan, add 1 T butter then add in the garlic.  Remove pan from heat, add in the lemon juice, cayenne, and 1 more T butter.  Add the shrimp back to the pan and top with parsley. 

Takes all of 15 minutes, prep work and all, and it's so delicioius.  Anyway, we also had the Herbed Squash found at foodnetwork.com.

This had really good flavor, but I didn't prep the squash correctly, we must've planted a different kind of squash than I thought, so the outside was very tough.  However, I would definitely make this again.  About 70 calories for 1/4 of the recipe.  I give the flavor an 8.
We didn't make the Penne a la Betsy from the Pioneer Woman, since I didn't want that much food because Aaron is gone, but I would recommend that recipe to anyone.  It's great, we have it a lot, we give it a 9.  Tomorrow we're having some breakfast food and also some beef tenderloin.

No comments:

Post a Comment