Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Slow Cooker Chocolate and Caramel Cake

I tried baking for the first time in the crockpot!  That is always an adventure, one I'm glad I tried.  I followed the recipe for Moist Chocolate and Caramel Cake exactly, and the only criticism I have of this recipe is that mine was a tiny bit overcooked, and I cooked it for the least amount of time listed.  Oh well, it was a big hit with the boys and myself, and I like the cream cheese flavor it had.  Aaron gave it a 7, Owen gave it an 8, I gave it a 9, and Noah gave it a perfect 10, big surprise there :)  That kid loves his desserts.  This was fun to make with the kids, and again, I like that I could make it in the crockpot.  We got at least 16 servings out of the cake, and the calories/serving were 388.  Here's the recipe:

4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup milk or cream
1 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream--I used sour cream)
1 egg
1 (16.5 oz) yellow cake mix, unprepared
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used 1/2 c)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T butter
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk 
 
In small microwave safe bowl, combine cream cheese and milk. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute; remove and stir. Continue microwaving for 30 second intervals until cream cheese melts; stir with wire whisk to blend.
Place in large bowl; stir in yogurt, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and egg. Mix well. Add cake mix and stir just until combined.
Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick baking spray. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.
In small saucepan, combine butter, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk; heat to boiling, stirring until blended. Carefully pour over batter in slow cooker.
Cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Uncover, turn off slow cooker, top loosely with foil, and let stand for 30 minutes.
Gently run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake and invert over serving plate until cake drops out. If any sauce remains in slow cooker, spoon over cake. Cool for 30-45 minutes before serving.  

1 comment:

  1. This sounds and looks so wonderful and gooey. I will definitely try this one. Love mom

    ReplyDelete