Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lasagna

We love lasagna in this family, and although this is not a great picture of it, this is our favorite lasagna recipe.  We gave it a perfect 10 all around, so hooray!  The serving size is a 4 1/2 inch square, and it's 451 calories for that.  This is not a low calorie food, but it definitely tastes good.  I've made this so everyone thinks this is the best recipe for lasagna, and although you might not agree that it's the best, it's still really great :)

Lasagna
1 lb italian sausage
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
3 14.5 oz cans crushed or diced tomatoes
6 oz tomato paste (more or less)
Spices to taste
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 c grated parmesan cheese, divided
12 oz pesto (homemade or store-bought, I use homemade)
8-9 lasagna noodles, ready to bake
1 lb mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese blend, grated

Brown sausage, onion, and garlic.  Drain, add in spices (I use oregano, basil, marjoram, salt, and pepper), and tomato paste.  Cook for a few minutes, then add in the canned tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. 
While sauce is simmering, mix together ricotta cheese, 1/2 c parmesan, and the pesto. 
To assemble, put a little sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, then a layer of noodles, then ricotta half the ricotta mixture, then mozzarella cheese, then sauce.  Repeat, and top with remaining parmesan and mozzarella.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly, and rest before serving.

I like using the no bake noodles, which is why I use so much sauce.  I also don't like eggs so I don't use eggs in my ricotta mixture.  I also find it freezes better for another meal if I don't use the eggs.

Tomorrow we're having some chicken and rice.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling a little better. With the exception of the sausage, this sounds wonderful. Sure love you. mom

    ReplyDelete