Thursday, April 18, 2013

Our Best Bites Strawberry Cheesecake Bars

Noah picked these out as treats, Strawberry Cheesecake Bars from Our Best Bites first cookbook, he wanted to share with his friends at school, so I made them and took them in for his birthday celebration at school.  He and I are the only ones who tried them, I gave them a 7, because of the crust, and Noah gave them a 9.  He and his classmates really liked them, so that's good :).  We cut them into squares, and we had 28 squares made.  The calories for one bar were 206 calories, but because the recipe called for Pecan Sandies Cookies, and almond extract, and we can't bring nuts into Noah's school, I had to change the recipe and use only vanilla extract and graham crackers, and the same weight in graham crackers did not yield very good results.  The crust on these was dry and flavorless, and there wasn't nearly enough butter to make them taste better.  Next time I will try to follow the recipe better.  I used my strawberry cherry jam again, so it was just a little different, and then I covered them in some strawberry sauce from Our Best Bites that I will hopefully feature at another time.  Here's the recipe the way I made it:
16 oz graham crackers, divided then crushed
2 T butter, melted
11 oz cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
2/3 c sugar
pinch salt
2 t vanilla
2 c sour cream
1 1/4 c strawberry cherry jam

Strawberry Sauce to garnish

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a 9x13 pan.  In a food processor, process 3/4 of the graham crackers.  Mix with the melted butter and press into the pan.  Set aside.
Beat together the cream cheese, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, and sour cream.  Spread half of the batter into the set aside crust. 
Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the batter, spreading evenly.  Top with the remainder of the cheesecake batter, then spread with the remainder of the jam, then top with the reserved graham cracker crumbs. 
Bake for 25-35 minutes, then cool and chill for at least 8 hours.  Serve with some strawberry sauce if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I understand. Were these too dry??? They look so good and moist. Love mom

    ReplyDelete