Monday, December 16, 2013

In Lunch Lady Land

Sloppy Joes, slop, sloppy Joes.  Thanks Adam Sandler :).  One of my favorite people in the world was a lunch lady, my husband's grandmother.  We love you GG!  I can't ever eat sloppy joes without that song running through my head.  Here is the recipe for these sloppy joes, which my family all really liked.  I didn't have any ketchup, so I had to make a few changes, but I'll put in the recipe the way I made it.  These are high in calories, and of course we had to add cheese because I can't have sloppy joes without cheese.  Without the bun, the meat was 285 calories.

1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
1/2  whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
4 cloves Garlic, Minced
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 T vinegar
1 t sugar
1/4 cup Water
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
Chili Powder
Dry Mustard
Red Pepper Flakes
Worcestershire Sauce, To Taste
Tabasco Sauce (optional; To Taste)

Brown ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.  Mix tomato sauce, vinegar, and sugar together, then add to the ground beef with the water.  Add in the brown sugar and spices, then allow to cook and reduce for about 20 minutes.  Serve!

1 comment:

  1. Did you add the tomato sauce with the vinegar, sugar and water to make ketsup?? I like sloppy joes, but we are not buying hamburger any more. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete