Friday, December 20, 2013

Curried Singapore Noodles

This is a good dish, although not fabulous.  I like that it is quick and easy, as are most of the recipes I have been featuring, but I would've liked a little different flavor.  Aaron and Owen gave this a 6, I gave it a 7, and Noah gave it an 8.  The calories for 1/6 of the total are 335, and it is ready in less than 30 minutes.  I found this recipe in my Cook's Illustrated family cookbook, I love those guys :). 

1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 T oil, divided
2 1/2 t curry powder, divided
1/2 lb pasta (this is what I used, the recipe called for rice noodles)
1 red pepper, sliced (I used yellow because they were on sale, red would've been prettier :))
3 shallots, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can bean sprouts (the recipe called for 1 cup, I could only find canned so I used the whole can)
3/4 c chicken broth
1/4 c soy sauce
2 T mirin
4 scallions, sliced thinly


Cook pasta according to directions, cooking 1-2 minutes less than called for.  Drain and reserve.
Stir 1/2 t curry powder with the shrimp.
Heat 1 T oil in the pan, add the shrimp, then cook until browned, about 2 minutes.  Remove to a bowl and set aside.
Heat the other T oil in the pan, then add the shallots, and peppers and 2 t curry powder.  Cook until softened, about 8 minutes.  Add the garlic, and cook for about 15 seconds.
Add the reserved shrimp and juices, the reserved pasta, and the rest of the ingredients.  Toss together and let the noodles finish cooking, about 3 more minutes.  Serve!

1 comment:

  1. What is mirin? Does the curry make it yellow? I'm not sure your dad would go for this one. Love you.

    ReplyDelete