Friday, February 27, 2015

MIchael Symon's Broccoli, Bacon and Cheddar Pasta

So although Aaron didn't like this, the rest of us really did.  I found this in 5 in 5 cookbook, and Michael Symon describes this as a take on broccoli with cheese sauce, and I agree that's what it tastes like.  Noah gave it a perfect 10, Owen and I gave it a 9, Jonah seemed to really like it, but Aaron gave it a 4, oh well.  Anyway, each serving, for 8 servings, was 497 calories.  Here's what to do:

13 oz penne (my box was that size and whole grain, use a full package of whatever kind you would like)
salt
6 T bacon fat (reserved from cooking bacon)
8 slices bacon
1 bag steamed broccoli, about 3 cups
3/4 c pine nuts
8 oz shredded aged cheddar cheese
dash of red pepper flakes

Cook penne according to directions for al dente pasta.  Reserve 1 c pasta water, and set aside.

Cook the bacon until crisp, then add in the pine nuts and broccoli, cooking about 2 minutes.  Add in the reserved pasta water and deglaze the pan, then add in the cheddar and red pepper flakes.  Stir in the pasta, then serve.

1 comment:

  1. I think this sounds good, but your dad did not. He does not like bacon in any food I make; he takes it out after I cook it. Oh, well. Love mom

    ReplyDelete