Friday, February 20, 2015

Frickadeller

I found this recipe in my Favorite Family Recipes cookbook, and you can find the original recipe here.  I made some changes, so I will post the recipe the way I made it.  The boys and Aaron gave it a perfect 10, Jonah didn't like it, and I gave it an 8.  Each serving with 3 meatballs and gravy was 441 calories.  Here's what to do:
1 lb ground beef (leanest possible)
1 lb ground pork
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 t onion powder (at least)
4 T flour
1 egg
1/2 t salt
1/4 t sage
1/2 t thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c milk
6 T butter

3-4 T flour
1 c whole milk
1 beef bullion cube
seasonings to taste

Mix together the beef, pork, bread crumbs, onion powder, flour, egg, salt, sage, thyme, garlic and milk.  Form into 24 meatballs, then smash them a little until they look like fat hamburgers.  Melt the butter in a large skillet, and cook until the meatballs are well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.  When all the meatballs have been cooked, using the same skillet, whisk in the flour to the drippings/remaining butter.  Stir in the milk and beef cube and whisk constantly.  Mine cooked extremely quickly, and I added quite a bit of water to get a thin enough gravy.  Season to taste and serve with the meatballs.

2 comments:

  1. When you say your Favorite Family Recipe Book, do you mean our family's recipe book because I don't ever remember hearing of a recipe by this name? this reminds me of my mother cooking hamburger gravy for us. I still don't like it. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I linked to the cookbook on Monday's recipe, you can find out what I am talking about then :)

      Delete