Friday, December 19, 2014

Cook's Illustrated Pear, Cranberry, and Ginger Relish

We had this at Thanksgiving, but this recipe is just in time for Christmas now :).  This has to be my favorite cranberry sauce, and it is easy and delicious.  My mother, Noah, Owen and I gave this a perfect 10, and Aaron and my dad gave this a 9.  I have tried lots of different cranberry relishes/sauces, and this one tops them all for me.  I found the recipe in Cook's Illustrated Best Recipe cookbook, and each serving is about 120 calories.  Here's what to do:

3/4 c water
12 oz cranberries
1/4 t salt
2 pears peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (I cut them into matchsticks)
1 t ginger (if using fresh ginger, use 1 T)
1/4 t cinnamon

Bring the water, salt, sugar, ginger and cinnamon to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.  Stir in the pears and cranberries, bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for at least five minutes (I let mine cook much longer).  Bring to room temperature and serve or store for future use in the fridge.


1 comment:

  1. So yummy! Thanks for sharing,. I will definitely try this one. Love mom

    ReplyDelete