Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Perfect Scoop's Milk Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream

I asked the boys what they wanted to try first out of my new cookbook The Perfect Scoop, and they chose milk chocolate ice cream.  I decided to use the author's suggestion and add brownies to this, and this is some creamy, delicious ice cream.  Owen, Noah and I gave this a perfect 10, and Aaron gave this an 8 because he didn't like the milk chocolate.  I used the brownie recipe in the cookbook, but you could use any brownie recipe and just break them into small chunks.  David Lebovitz suggests only using milk chocolate that is at least 30% cocoa solids, and so I used Godiva milk chocolate that is 31% cocoa solids.  This is a custard based ice cream, which is the only kind of ice cream I like to make, since it makes super rich, creamy ice cream.  It also lends itself to high calorie ice cream, but oh well :).  Each serving, about a 1/2 c serving, is 431 calories, the way I made it.
8 oz milk chocolate
2 c heavy cream
1 c 1% milk
3/4 c sugar
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
dash of vanilla
brownies

Melt 1 1/2 c cream and milk chocolate together in the microwave, stirring very often until the chocolate melts.
Make a custard with the remaining ingredients, warming the milk, remaining cream, sugar and salt, then beating and tempering the egg yolks before adding to the pan of milk and cooking until thickened.  Pour the custard through a strainer into the melted milk chocolate, stir in the vanilla, then chill thoroughly.  Churn in your ice cream mixer, then fold in the brownie bits and freeze.  Yummy!!!

1 comment:

  1. HOw do you freeze it? Do you still use that ice cream freezer that you put in the freezer? This sounds really good, but I am not sure of the chocolate flavor. I do not like chocolate ice cream. Love mom

    ReplyDelete