Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp and Crab

We had some easy fettuccine alfredo tonight, with shrimp and crab legs.  Aaron was awesome and cracked all the crab legs for us, so we could just eat that up.  For the shrimp, I used a little olive oil, salt, and garlic powder, then just cooked them for about 2-3 minutes.  The boys loved these, they gave the shrimp perfect 10, but they didn't love the noodles as much.  I had to improvise on my alfredo sauce, since I didn't have enough cream to make it accurately, so I added some yogurt instead.  It definitely altered the texture and flavor of the sauce, so the boys gave the noodles a 7, from Owen, and a 0 from Noah.  The original recipe I took from Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipe Cookbook, and I like that it comes together so quickly.  This is my no recipe trying to remember modification.

1/2 lb pasta
1 2/3 c cream (or 1 c cream, 1/3 c milk, 1/3 c yogurt)
5 T butter
approximately 1 c parmesan cheese

Melt together 1 1/3 c cream and butter and cook until just barely simmering.  Set aside.  Cook pasta until just al dente, then add the pasta to the butter and cream mixture.  Add the remaining 1/3 c cream and parmesan and toss with the pasta.  Top with spices, nutmeg, whatever. 

Aaron and I gave this a 7, because the pasta didn't taste terrible, just the yogurt was too strong.  Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe if you want to try it for alfredo sauce. Hope you are all doing well> Love mom

    ReplyDelete