Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pioneer Woman's Red (or not :)) Velvet Pancakes

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!  Red Velvet Pancakes from The Pioneer Woman's newest cookbook are yummy and perfect for your Valentine :).  This recipe was a hit with my boys, not so much with my true Valentine Aaron, but regardless these are good and easy.  I felt like there was too much baking powder, they had that bitter taste that comes from too much baking powder, and I added more cocoa powder, but mostly followed the directions.  Also, I didn't use maple syrup, I used vanilla and almond extracts. Each pancake with syrup was 184 calories, and the recipe made 22 pancakes or us.  Aaron gave them a 6, I gave them an 8, ad Owen and Noah gave them a perfect 10.  Here's the easy peasy recipe.  Make them red if you desire, I just really don't like using food coloring very much :).

3 c flour
3 T baking powder
2 T sugar
1 t salt
2 T cocoa powder
1 1/2 c almond milk
1 c buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 T vanilla
2 t white vinegar
4 T butter, melted

Syrup:
2 1/2 c powdered sugar
dash of salt
4 T butter, melted
1/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c almond milk
1 1/2 T corn syrup
1/2 T vanilla and almond extracts, mixed, mostly vanilla

Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder.  Set aside.  Mix together almond milk, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then add in the butter and cook on a heated griddle.
Whisk together the icing/syrup ingredients, then pour over your pancakes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment