Monday, February 3, 2014

Flour's Oatmeal Maple Scones

I received the Flour cookbook from my Mother-in-Law for Christmas this year, and I love it.  I wanted to try these scones right off, they sounded super delicious and easy, my kind of food ;).  I didn't have enough maple syrup, although I thought I did, so I used some regular pancake syrup in addition to the maple syrup, and also for the glaze I used vanilla and almond extracts, and almond milk rather than maple syrup.  We all really liked these, especially after we let them sit a little while.  Aaron gave them an 8, and the rest of us gave them a 9.  Each scone had 487 calories when made with the original recipe, a little less when made the way I made them.  Here's what I did:

Scones:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/4 c old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/2 c hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
1/2 c Craisins
1/2 c unsalted butter, cut into 8-10 pieces
1/3 c cold heavy cream
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 c pancake syrup
1 cold egg
Glaze:
1 c powdered sugar
2 T almond milk
1 T vanilla and almond extracts mixed, mostly vanilla
1 T water

Using a stand mixer, mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, hazelnuts, and Craisins until combined.  Scatter the butter over the top and beat on low speed for about 30 seconds, or until the butter is somewhat broken down and grape-size pieces are still visible.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, syrups, and egg until thoroughly mixed.  On low speed, pour the cream mixture and beat for 20 to 30 seconds, or just until the dough comes together.  It will be fairly wet.
Drop 1/3 c sized scones onto a cookie sheet, making 8 of them.  Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours.
Preheat the oven to 365, and bake directly from the freezer for 40-45 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
To make the glaze, whisk together all the ingredients until you have a smooth, pourable glaze. 
Brush or pour the glaze over the tops of the scones and then serve after allowing the glaze to soak in for a little while.

Yummy!


2 comments:

  1. I am a little confused by the picture that you have with the scones. I recognize the orange and some kind of rice dish, but am not sure if the item in the foreground is a scone. It looks more like some kind of meat to me? I always thought that scones were like breads. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two different kinds of scones, there are traditional English scones, which look like the picture above, not meat, and then there are the Utah/Arizona scones I have only ever seen out here, and they are like fry bread. The other item is eggs. Hope that helps.

      Delete