Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tzatziki Sauce

This is the Tzatziki Sauce I used for our gyros yesterday from Michael Symon's Live to Cook cookbook, and it is a good, simple, foolproof method.  I changed only a couple of things, because I like making things easy.  The calories are 31/serving, and I give this an 8, because it's just a good solid recipe.

2 c Greek yogurt
1 cucumber
kosher salt
Juice of 2 lemons
3 T chopped fresh mint (you could use dill as well, I like this recipe with the mint)
1 T minced garlic, about 3 cloves
1 T minced shallot, I used 1 small shallot
Black Pepper

Put the yogurt into a cheesecloth-lined strainer set over a bowl and let drain for 24 hours in the refrigerator (I didn't do this, I didn't think it was necessary, but if you want your sauce really thick, definitely do this).  Peel and dice the cucumber (I grated my cucumber to make is super fine, I didn't want my sauce too chunky).  Sprinkle it with salt and place in a strainer at room temperature for 2-3 hours to drain.
Stir together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, garlic, and shallot in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment