Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup

A few weeks ago we had Michael Symon's Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup.  This was really tasty, but way too spicy for us.  The kids really didn't like it, and only gave it a 3, but Aaron and I liked it quite a bit, the flavor was awesome, it was just over the top spicy.  I'll make it again, but with way less srirachca.  We found the recipe in Michael Symon's Live To Cook, which is the cookbook I'm working through right now.  No picture, sorry, but here's the recipe.

2 T olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes, with their juice (I just used regular canned tomatoes)
1 1/2 c chicken stock
3/4 c heavy cream
2 T sriracha sauce (I would use 2 t probably)
1 T fresh oregano leaves
1/2 c Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue Cheese (I used just a regular blue cheese)

Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the onion and a large pinch of salt and sweat for 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue to sweat for 2 more minutes.  Add the tomatoes, their juice, and the stock and bring to a simmer.  Add the cream, sriracha sauce, and oregano and simmer for 45 minutes.  Pour the soup into a blender (I used an immersion blender), add the blue cheese, and blend until smooth, working in batches if needed.  Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean pot, taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and reheat to serve.  The soup will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for a few days.

I would definitely recommend trying this, but be careful with the sriracha :)

1 comment:

  1. Just because I like blue cheese, I think I might like this, but I know your dad would not. love mom

    ReplyDelete