Friday, August 14, 2015

My Gourmet Mediterranean Burger

My sister Sonia is sharing her recipe with us today, I'm so glad she is helping out on my blog :).


This isn't our picture, but I forgot to take one before we ate ours all up, so I borrowed one online from savourthesensesblog.com/feta-basil-bison-burgers/.  This is what ours looked like before we cooked them (except theirs is more nicely formed).  

Anyway for the first time since we moved to Oregon my basil plant is thriving.  I had so much basil I didn't know what to do with it and I wanted to make something with it.  I was also in the mood for hamburgers.  So I asked my family what they thought of me incorporating basil in our hamburgers.  They all said it might be good so I went about making me some burgers.

I decided I wanted to go a different route than the traditional recipe that I usually make because of the basil so I opted for more Mediterranean ingredients.  Here's what I did: 
(All measurements are approximations because I didn't measure.  Sorry.)

1 lb hamburger
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp dried minced onions
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp feta cheese crumbles
2 Tbsp oatmeal
salt and pepper to taste

Joe grilled them and then we topped them with mashed avocado, sliced tomatoes, mayo and/or ketchup, and some of us added pickles as well.  We tried brioche buns from the store as our bun.

I thought they were very yummy.  I really enjoyed the flavor.  My husband and younger daughter seemed to think they were good, but my older one thought that even though the flavor was good they should have been made into a different meal than hamburgers.  The combination of the American Burger and the flavors didn't wow her.

The only thing I would change is that I would add a little more salt and an egg.  The burgers didn't stay together as well as they should have and I like a little more saltiness in my burger.  I also think it might be fun to add some sun-dried tomatoes to the mix.

I will definitely be doing these again, but maybe after the kids leave home. :)

1 comment:

  1. When I first read where you got the picture, I thought they were bison burgers. Oh, well. they do look good. love mom

    ReplyDelete