Friday, June 20, 2014

Flour's Homemade Poptarts

So I don't even want to tell you how much of a pig I made of myself about these.  These are what poptarts should be, but aren't.  Flour came up with this recipe, and although I didn't execute it perfectly, it surely is tatsy :).  Aaron gave these a 9, and the rest of us gave them a perfect 10.  I needed to use thicker jelly, but the glaze and the pastry dough were fabulous.  This is a horrible picture, but these don't taste horrible, I promise :).  You make a flaky, eggy pie dough basically, and put in jam/other fillings, then glaze with a basic powdered sugar, vanilla milk glaze.  Easy, delicious, and so fattening.  Each pop tart was 486 calories, but you can use a less fatty pie dough.  Anyway, try making your own poptarts, and hopefully they will be more beautiful than mine :).  Here is the recipe for the Pate Brisee in Flour's cookbook:

1 3/4 c flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1 c cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
2 egg yolks
3 T cold milk

Using a stand mixer (or a food processor, which I prefer), mix together the sugar, salt, and flour.  Add in the butter until the mixture clumps when you put it between your fingers.  Mix the egg yolks and the milk together, then add it to the flour until the dough just comes together.  Work the dough with your hands for a few minutes until the butter is streaked throughout, then refrigerate for at least four hours.  Divide the dough in two, roll it out, and create your poptarts.

2 comments:

  1. Since I don't really like pop tarts and your dad is not supposed to eat them, I probably won't make these. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete