Friday, October 18, 2013

Hamburger Gravy

This was such comfort food for us.  I started with this recipe, and went off of it a little bit.  Everyone enjoyed it, and we will have it again.  Owen gave it a 7, Aaron gave it an 8, I gave it a 9, and Noah again gave it a perfect 10.  I liked it paired with the mashed potatoes that I will share the recipe for soon.  Here's what I did for the gravy.

1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1 T butter
3 T flour
thyme, garlic salt, onion powder to taste
2 c beef broth

Brown beef and drain grease if necessary.  Put in spices and butter, then add flour and stir well.  Add in beef broth, bring to a boil and let thicken.  Serve over mashed potatoes or baked potato as in the original recipe.

The calories for 1/4 of the total were 203, so not high in calories really.  We had this with salad and rolls.  Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. As a little girl, my mother would make hamburger gravy and it was always comfort food for me, too. When we lived in England and I got homesick for good American food, we would go to KFC and get French fries (they had no mashed potatoes) and gravy. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this too. I was surprised because it didn't look too appetizing

    ReplyDelete