Wednesday, December 12, 2012

An Old Favorite


Sonia here.  This soup is an old favorite of our family.  I have made it for years and my mom made it before then.  It is good, warm, comfort food for me.  I have no clue where my mom got the recipe, but I got it from her and just tweaked it a bit for my taste.


Clam Chowder

1 cup chopped onions (I use dried minced onions)
1 cup diced celery
2 cups diced potatoes
2 small cans clams, do not drain
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
3/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup flour
1 quart half & half
salt and pepper to taste

Put in onions, celery, potatoes, bouillon, clams, and clam juice. Add just enough water to come to top of vegetables but not cover them. Cover, cook till tender and most of the water is gone, but before they start to stick to bottom of pan. Meanwhile, in saucepan melt margarine/butter and add flour to make a roue. Add half and half, salt and pepper and stir till completely mixed and smooth. Then add sauce and clams to veggies and simmer till desired thickness. I like mine pretty thick.

1 comment:

  1. We love this too! I think this might be my favorite food Mom made.

    ReplyDelete